Residence for Adults with Mental Illness West Nassau Residence
West Nassau Residence is a home in Elmont for adults over 18 with persistent mental illness. West Nassau Residence is a 24-hour supervised community residence that serves men and women who suffer from mental illness. The residential program assists its consumers in learning the skills necessary to move on to a more independent living environment.
Co-ed, ages 18-59
Referrals must go through Nassau County SPA for adults. Placement is voluntary
- Psychiatrically disabled adults who are in need of a structured and supportive setting in the community.
- Individuals may have a secondary substance abuse diagnoses, but West Nassau does not offer substance abuse services. Consumers would need to secure these services at outpatient clinics or programs.
Adults not serviced
- Individuals with severe medical conditions that require 24-hour medical supervision.
- Danger to self or others at time of application.
- Assertiveness/self-advocacy training
- Behavioral intervention
- Case management
- Community integration/resource development
- Crisis management
- Daily living skills training
- Health management services
- Medication management and training
- Parenting training
- Rehabilitation counseling
- Room and board
- Skill development services, related to education/vocational pursuits
- Socialization skills training
- Symptom management
- Travel training/transportation
Length of Stay
Length of stay may vary from 12 to 24 months, depending on the readiness of the individual to move on to a more independent setting.
Once a referral is received from SPA, a decision on the individual’s acceptance into the program is made by the admissions’ committee composed of mental health professionals who, together with staff, review applications and determine the appropriateness of each candidate.
505 Elmont Road Elmont, NY 11003
West Nassau Residence is a 24-hour supervised community home in Elmont for adult men and women over 18 with persistent mental illness. The residential program assists its consumers in learning the skills necessary to move on to a more independent living environment.