Step Up to Success
2016 Step Up To Success Highlights
- SU2S participant earnings were over $200,000 on an annualized basis… the highest since the inception of the SU2S program.
- Financial aid awards were also at the highest level (over $78,000).
- SU2S clients who were either employed and/or in school reached 96%.
Turning “at-risk” youth into “can do” adults!
With Step UP to Success, Family & Children’s Association (FCA) has developed a new approach to transform youth service delivery on Long Island so that the community will see a reduction in the costs associated with youth homelessness, unemployment and crime; but, most importantly, young people will transition into successful, independent adults with the capacity and confidence to lead productive lives. Step UP to Success believes that youth (ages 16 to 24) can climb a “ladder to success” if they have the support of a Transition Coach and a plan to help them attain the following outcomes:
- Graduate from high school or its equivalent, college or another post-secondary educational or training program;
- Secure consistent employment that provides a living wage based on accepted criteria for Nassau County;
- Is living in permanent, safe housing; and
- Is emotionally and socially stable.
To achieve these goals, Step UP to Success utilizes a “ladder to success” model to measure and document youth’s progress that begins with a comprehensive assessment of their needs as well as their knowledge, skills and abilities. Our work with clients is: broader, deeper, faster with longer follow through:
- Involves increased collaboration and resource sharing across programs (broader)
- Service implementation is intense and based on youth’s individual needs (deeper)
- Geared towards achieving incremental steps towards big goals at an accelerated pace (faster)
- Requires staying with youth until they are ready for independence (longer)
With Step UP to Success, we measure the real impact of services on our clients’ lives by measuring outcomes and the social return on investment (SROI).
Give A Gift That Matters!
If you’d like to help our young people overcome adversity, please consider giving a gift that matters from our Gift Catalog. These items have been customized to meet the needs of our youth who struggle with everyday issues like transportation, textbook fees, learning to drive and college applications. Your gift will allow a young person to step up to a better life.
Representatives from government, business, education, healthcare and philanthropy joined together to lend support to FCA’s Step Up to Success Initiative which helps ‘at-risk’ youth become ‘can-do’ adults. These individuals have volunteered to join our advisory council whose mission is to create pathways to opportunities for Long Island’s homeless, at-risk and transitional youth. Meeting for the first time, members of the advisory council explored ways each could contribute to the well-being of Long Island’s youth. Click here to Get Involved!